This spec / talent build is for level 80 Paladins and the 3.3.5(a) version of World of Warcraft
Retribution Paladins are arguably one of the easiest class-specs to "top the dps". They do often have have a high damage output and are thus useful in PvE, but they truly shine in PvP due to their instrinsic high survivability coupled with the potential of high burst damage. This is why most people seem to think of them as an "easy class", one that you can "pwn others with with no skill".
Besides the high damage output, they also provide various useful utilities to their party members. They make for example, thanks to their high survivability, perfect off-tanks for those awkward "the healer was afk and the tank died" situations and their buffs have always been on the most wanted lists.
Haven't leveled your Paladin yet? No worries, go check out our
This is a rather usual talent build for pve retribution dps paladins.
Retribution DPS Talent Build / Spec (3.3.5)
This spec is good for beginners and lowly geared players (even well geared ones). It is just fine for all dungeons (5-mans) and most raids. However, this is NOT "an optimal raiding spec", as it would depend on the composition of your raid.
It does not have any additional utility talents.
You will need 264 hit rating (or 8%) in order to reach the soft cap. Anything over that is just a waste of money/other useful stats.
You will also need 26 expertise (as a melee dps) is the soft cap. Again, anything over that is un-useful. You will get this with gear, Glyph of Seal of Vengeance, and some racial abilities (for the races that have it).
However, you should never gem for this stat.
Hit & Expertise > Strength > Crit > Agility > Haste > ArP
- Hit rating: To soft cap (read more above)
- Expertise: To soft cap (read more above)
- Strength: This will be your your primary stat. It provides you with lots of attack power (2 ap per point of strength) and it also scales very well with buffs and talents.
- Critical Strike rating: It increases your chance to have a critical strike (your attack does +100% physical damage). You should in no way prioritize this.
- Agility: Paladins receive a huge amount of melee critical strike rating per point of agility, far more than any other class (3.3.5). However, it does not grant any attack power.
- Haste rating: It increases the frequency of your auto-attacks
- Armor Penetration: It isn't really a paladin friendly stat, but it does increase your dps.
- Glyph of Judgement : Your Judgements deal 10% more damage.
- Glyph of Consecration : Increases the duration and cooldown of Consecration by 20%. [The tooltip has false information]
- Glyph of Seal of Vengeance : Your Seal of Vengeance or Seal of Corruption also grants 10 expertise while active.
- Glyph of Sense Undead : Damage against Undead increased by 1% while your Sense Undead ability is active.
- Glyph of Lay on Hands : Reduces the cooldown of your Lay on Hands spell by 3 min.
- The third glyph doesn't really matter. Take whatever you want.